Wednesday, January 28, 2009

December 16, 1915

Photobucket

This is a photo of my grandparents (Mom's parents), Abraham Lincoln Troyer and Emma Barbara Eichelberger on their wedding day - December 16, 1915 (or maybe December 15, 1915 - I've seen both and am not sure of the correct date. The family calendar that was made for 2000 says 16th, but the little bulletin for Grandma's Memorial Service says the 15th).



Wow, just a few minutes after I posted my blog entry this morning, we had a car pull up in front of the office (yes, I was blogging while at work). Nebraska license plate, 34-(something). For those of you unfamiliar with license plates in Nebraska, most counties are assigned numbers for their license plates, so if you know the number assigned to each county, you know where they are from. (I believe the Omaha and Lincoln areas are now too big to have numbers assigned to them, that changed after we left Nebraska so I'm not sure how they work.) Anyway, I've seen MANY 34-county plates and knew it was from Filmore county, which is where my grandparents (above) lived. When I was young, we made many trips on Sunday afternoons to go see them and seeing that plate today just bought back a flood of memories. The people came into our office and I had lots of fun talking to them and of course had to tell them that I'm a native Nebraskan who had family that lived in Shickley (they live in Geneva). They didn't know any of my relatives, but I still enjoyed talking to them. It's funny how seeing that plate just made me happy. Right after they left I went to lunch and really got to thinking about family. So I called Mom to tell her, we always laugh about how it's such a small world. She had told me a while ago that when she was working at the shop in Seward they had a mom and daughter come in from Texas and this is how the conversation went:



Mom: Where do you live in Texas?

Them: Austin

Mom: Oh, I have a daughter who lives in Georgetown

Them: Well, we live in Georgetown, but always just say Austin because no one knows where Georgetown is.

Me: FUNNY!





Anyway, while I was at home and thinking about family, I went to look through some old photos I have and found the picture posted above. I just think it's neat and wanted to post it so everyone could see it.





I also found this one:
Photobucket

EEEEEKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!! I wish I could remember for sure when this was taken, but I'm guessing 1993 or 1994. The little boy Mom is holding is my nephew, Josh, who was born in 1992, that's what my guess is based on. Mom, Brian or Jerolyn, do you know exactly when it was taken? If so, email me or put a comment on this post and I'll write it on the back of the picture.

So to find out correct dates, I had to pull out my copy of the family calendar that I keep important family stuff in it. Mostly it's full of obituaries. My dad's parents were both deceased before I was born, so I never was lucky enough to know them. I do remember Mom's parents and going to see them on Sundays. I remember always taking a little baggie full of pennies because Grandpa collected them. I don't know what he did with them after I gave them to him though. I also remember him being VERY TALL. My older brother and some of my cousins inherited his height, I didn't. He died on August 27, 1971; he was 81. (I was thinking it was later than that because I thought my younger brother had been born before he died, but I guess not. Barry was born in 1972.) Grandma died on October 11, 1989; she was 96. They were married for 56 years and had 12 kids (Mom is second to youngest). When grandma died in 1989, she had 39 Grandchildren and 58 Great Grandchildren. I wonder what the count is now, 20 years later, in 2009. My kids were3 and 4 when she died and now they have kids of their own (Todd and I have four grandchildren.)

And in two days, Todd's grandmother turns 97. I wish we could be there to celebrate with her, but it didn't work out. At least we got to see her at Christmas.

And tomorrow is Samantha and Jason's anniversary. I think this will be their 3rd. I have a card at home for them, so we'll have to get with them soon.

I guess I've rambled on enough for this afternoon.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!!!!! :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha! Love the pants suit!! Maybe Hilary was taking fashion tips from this pic? Ha ! Lol!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that was me, Megan!